How should a Chief Product Officer work effectively with their board – as partners and sounding board? Hear some of the practical tips and advices from an experience board member who was on the other side of the table as a former CPO / tech executive.
Shelley Perry is a world renowned scale op expert with more than 30 years experience as operator, board director, venture operating partners and seed investor. Currently, Shelley is a managing director at ScaleLogix Ventures, and she’s also on half a dozen boards.
This Webinar Covers:
- Why it’s important to learn good board practice
- 5 tips to address common challenges working with the board
- How to take the theory to practice
The full transcript and downloadable slides are provided below.
Adopting a board practice has many benefits
- Effective communication increases board confidence of the entire executive team
- Board meetings are practice sessions for deal preparation which improves deal processes
- Interactions with board members lead to future board roles
- Non-CEO C-Suites with external board roles increase future promotions and CEO roles
5 tips to address common challenges (as a new CPO working with the board)
- Understand and empathize with your audience – your board “customer”
- What got you here won’t get you there – who is your team?
- Your product section is part of a larger narrative
- Financial speak, not product speak
- A picture is worth a thousand words (charts!)
- Get to know your board members and network with CEOs and board members
- Embrace your C-Suite team
- Dry run the material with a non-product person. Let them buzz you every time you use a product jargon
- Improve your financial acumen – tie your product strategy to the financial impact
- More importantly, enjoy the journey and pay it forward!
Download the slides below: