Product: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
From confusion and chaos to clarity and control, Steinberg has seen all flavors of product management. The seasoned CPO vouches for the necessity of a well-defined roadmap, emphasizing the establishment of clear goals and Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) at the outset.
For product managers, a portfolio management approach offers the broad perspective needed to effectively guide their teams. Steinberg and his team at Symphony Talent utilize Dragonboat to bridge the alignment gap, not only between the executive team and product, but also between product and all internal cross functional teams. This capability provides a clear line of communication with your clients and product about critical elements of the product portfolio.
Without a clear roadmap for product, companies often find themselves in operational chaos, misalignment, and bottlenecks, especially in the current day and age with unexpected market shifts. In addition, the Product Development team doesn’t have a method to measure success without a clear strategy, objective, and roadmap.
Steinberg identifies several key challenges of CPOs:
- Understanding and responding to market dynamics
- Articulating a strategy that aligns with organizational goals and market impacts
- Responsiveness to unexpected market shifts
- Aligning and tracking OKRs across all organizational levels
- Eliminating silos and fostering collaboration
- Orchestrating multiple teams efficiently
Take a Portfolio Management Approach With Dragonboat
Having a strategic and responsive portfolio management approach not only provides direction but also the necessary flexibility to adapt in the face of unforeseen business challenges – but how?
Continual evaluation of these OKRs by the leadership team ensures alignment with the business strategy. Similar to a pilot adjusting the aircraft’s trajectory mid-flight due to changing weather conditions, the leadership team consistently reviews and realigns the OKRs on a quarterly basis, making necessary adjustments to stay on course.
Drive Business Outcomes Through Company Wide Alignment With Dragonboat
The first step to driving org-wide alignment and collaboration is to shift your mentality from delivering features to driving outcomes. It also means taking a broader perspective and working closely with various functions. Here’s how how Dragonboat empowers CPOs, like Perry, to create strategic alignment and collaborate with peers while keeping cross-functional teams on track:
- Embracing OKRs: Aim for 80% of work to directly correlate with an OKR. Misalignment suggests strategy adjustments or a misplaced focus.
- Prioritizing features and initiatives to achieve OKRs utilizing the built-in prioritization like the MoAR model for quantitative prioritization or customized formulas.
- Integrate with development tools to facilitate a two-way sync with Jira, Azure Dev Ops, Github, and others, to gain automatic progress reports and delay alerts.
- Build and share outcome-centric roadmaps and keep stakeholders informed, provide context, andprep the team for downstream activities.
Breaking Silos with Dragonboat: A Transparent and Collaborative Approach
The siloed nature of business operations is a persistent challenge for many organizations. Yet, as leaders, the job is to break down these silos and foster holistic, interconnected workflows. A pivotal step in this journey is fostering an integrated product development lifecycle (PDLC) that effectively breaks down silos.
At his last 3 companies, Perry Steinberg implemented an all encompassing PDLC that included Go-To-Market focus and involved all key stakeholders across the board.
Use Data-Driven Prioritization and Portfolio Modeling to Build Outcome-Focused Roadmaps
Prioritization sits at the heart of product leadership. Strategies like the Rock, Pebble, Sand approach help sidestep the build-trap by addressing key issues first, refining the backlog in line with resource availability.
The Metrics over Available Resources (MoAR) framework aids in incorporating clear goal measures into your roadmap. It facilitates smarter product decisions, clearer portfolio metrics, and enhanced outcomes.
With this, planning an outcome-driven roadmap that acknowledges dependencies and allocation becomes possible. Optimal portfolio outcomes require resource distribution towards both immediate and future goals. Dragonboat provides a clear view of planned versus actual resources, allowing effective roadmap execution and necessary adjustments.
Managing dependencies is as vital as resource allocation. Unmonitored, they could obstruct progress and delay outcomes. Dragonboat supports efficient planning, visualization, and auto-tracking of dependencies, enabling successful product delivery. It also offers real-time roadmap progress and automatic delay or risk alerts.
The final step is monitoring outcome progress and adjusting your roadmap based on results. Track both the progress of roadmap items and your OKRs to learn what’s effective.
Dragonboat- A CPO's Strategic Ally
How Dragonboat Empowers CPOs Like Perry Steinberg
- Alignment of goals with key business areas involved in building and delivering products
- Easily share delivery progress with stakeholders including board members, C-Suite executives, functional leads, strategic partners, and key customers
- Provides a source of truth for the entire company
- Allocate resources in real-time and adjust allocation based on outcomes
- Visualize data that represents business goals, customer needs, and product strategies
- Provide an easy way for executives to quickly view both outcome progress and roadmap deliverables
Why Do You Need a Product Portfolio Management Tool?Perry said it best:
Dragonboat’s versatile capabilities help CPOs manage resources effectively, provide visibility into the product development process, and link project execution to corporate objectives.
Through Steinberg’s experience, it’s clear that Dragonboat is more than just a tool–it’s a strategic ally for CPOs aiming to enhance collaboration, drive strategic alignment, and make data-driven decisions. Whether you’re a seasoned CPO or aspiring to the role, Dragonboat empowers you to lead your organization confidently towards successful business outcomes.
Symphony Talent is a recruitment marketing technology company that helps talent acquisition teams automate tasks and empower innovative candidate interactions. Symphony Talent's award-winning EVP strategy, employer brand campaigns, career site design and recruitment technology support clients across the globe, including the world's leading brands. Visit symphonytalent.com to learn more.
Recruitment Marketing Technology
Outcome-based strategic decision making and alignment between executive, product, and cross-functional teams.